PPG1000-2 Week 2
… agenda for PPG1000, section 2, 21 September 2016.
The Constitution – What are the core elements of the Canadian constitution? What are constitutional conventions? How do these rules impact policy making in Canada?
1 – Class outline
2 – In the news
- Aaron Blake (2016), Kentucky governor: Electing Hillary Clinton may eventually lead to violence, Washington Post, 13 September 2016, at https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/09/13/kentucky-governor-electing-hillary-clinton-may-eventually-lead-to-violence/, accessed 20 September 2016.
- Adrian Morrow (2016), Wynne to prorogue Ontario Legislature to clear way for Throne Speech, 8 September 2016, at http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/ontario-legislature-to-prorogue-government-to-deliver-throne-speech-monday/article31762807/, accessed 19 September 2016.
- Office of the Premier (2016), Speech from the Throne – A Balanced Plan to Build Ontario Up for Everyone, 12 September 2016, at https://news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2016/09/speech-from-the-throne.html, accessed 19 September 2016.
- John Ibbitson (2016), Parliament is back, and the Liberals have some big decisions to make, Globe and Mail, 19 September 2016, at http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/parliament-is-back-and-liberals-have-some-big-decisions-to-make/article31948289/, accessed 19 September 2016.
- Gordon Gibson (2016), Tips for the PM: Stay clear of constitutional quagmires, Globe and Mail, 17 September 2016, at http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/tips-for-the-pm-stay-clear-of-constitutional-quagmires/article31930829/, accessed 19 September 2016.
- Ian Austin (2016), Justin Trudeau, Nearing a Year in Office, Tries to Recast Himself, New York Times, 14 September 2016, at http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/15/world/canada/justin-trudeau.html, accessed 21 September 2016.
3 – Presentation on the core concepts in Constitutional Framework, particularly:
4 – Seminar discussion
- Student insights from the readings
- Representative Government vs. Responsible Government
- Conventions vs. Laws
5 – Round the table on Institutional Analysis topics
6 – Other business
7 – Next week: PPG1000-2 Week 3
- Readings for Democratic Reform
- Docherty, David. 2012. “Imperfect Legislatures,” in Imperfect Democracies: The Democratic Deficit in Canada and the United States, eds. Patti Tamara Lenard and Richard Simeon, pp. 181-203. Vancouver: UBC Press.
- Joseph Heath (n.d.), The democracy deficit in Canada, unpublished paper.
- Mel Cappe and Janice Stein (2016), Government by Referendums is not Democracy, Globe and Mail, July 8.
- Read some of the open access pieces “for 7 hours of preparation” including those on populism and elitism:
- Roger Cohen (2016), The Trump-Farage Road Show, New York Times, 29 August 2016, at http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/30/opinion/the-trump-farage-road-show.html, accessed 30 August 2016.
- Charles Murray and Sean Collins (2016), America Against Itself – Charles Murray talks to Sean Collins about the new class war, Spiked Review, August 2016, at http://www.spiked-online.com/spiked-review/article/a-nation-divided, accessed 20 September 2016.
- Joel Kotkin (2016), The New Culture War Dividing America – Underpinning the progressive elite’s snobbery is a vicious class antagonism, Spiked Review, August 2016, at http://www.spiked-online.com/spiked-review/article/the-new-culture-war-dividing-america, accessed 20 September 2016.
- If you live in Eglinton-Lawrence:
Page created by: Ian Clark, last modified 21 September 2016.