PPG1000 Week 5 – Plenary Session
… agenda for PPG1000, 12 October 2016.
Institutional dynamics within government
1 – Class outline
- Discovery Walk of the day: Northern Ravines and Gardens
- Condition of the day: Narcissistic Alexithymia
- Junk-mail irony of the day: The World Needs Inclusion Not Exclusion
- Special guests:
- Note also, from The Study of Leadership and Communication:
4 – Seminar discussion
5 – Other matters
- Update on Walter Gordon Symposium
- Update on Case Competition (Janet Mason)
- Recommended reading following Dominique Barton: Dynamic Resource Reallocation; Strategizing; Managing Oneself
- Jordan Peterson Against Political Correctness Story added to Cases
- Preparatory videos for Indigenous Governance: Context for Indigenous Governance in Canada
- Due next week, 19 October: Research Outline (10%) – A two-page backgrounder on your topic and preliminary sketch of your analytical approach
- Michael Valpy has agreed to do an optional tutorial on Basic Op-Ed Structure after last class, perhaps 1 December, and in the meantime, study the recent posts at PPGReview.ca.
6 – Readings for next week (Federalism):
Simeon, Richard, Ian Robinson, and Jennifer Wallner. 2014. “The Dynamics of Canadian Federalism,” in Canadian Politics, 6th ed., eds. James Bickerton and Alain-G. Gagnon, pp. 65-91. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
Brown, Douglas M. 2012. “Fiscal Federalism: Maintaining a Balance,” in Canadian Federalism: Performance, Effectiveness and Legitimacy, 3rd ed., eds. Herman Bakvis and Grace Skogstad, pp. 118-140. Toronto: Oxford University Press.
Lecours, André, and Daniel Béland. 2010. “Federalism and Fiscal Policy: The Politics of Equalization in Canada.” Publius: The Journal of Federalism 40(4): 569-596.
Page created by: Ian Clark, last modified 12 October 2016.