PPG1000-2 Week 9
… agenda for PPG1000, section 2, 9 November 2016.
1 – Introductory comments
- New deadline for Assignment 2: November 23
- Case competition
- Professor Triadafilopoulos’s big question last class: To what extent are the political and socio-economic outcomes determined by the institutions and vice versa?
- American election
2 – Reflections on the video lectures by Indigenous scholars (see list at Context for Indigenous Governance in Canada)
- discussion led by Kayla Ishkanian and Caleb Holden
- Liberal 2015 Electoral Platform, see https://www.liberal.ca/files/2015/10/New-plan-for-a-strong-middle-class.pdf, page 46
3 – Presentation on the 24 core concepts in Indigenous Governance
4 – Seminar discussion – Applying insights from the readings to Professor Triadafilopoulos’s big question
- Siggner et al., Non-Status Indian Population Living Off-Reserve
- Papillon, Canadian Federalism and the Emerging Mosaic of Aboriginal Multi-Level Governance
- Papillon, The Rise and Fall of Aboriginal Self-Government
- Frances and Prince, Four Pathways to Aboriginal Self-Government in Canada
5 – Next week: PPG1000 Week 10 – Courts, Tribunals, and Commissions
- Andrew Petter (2009), Legalise This – The Chartering of Canadian Politics
- Peter Hogg and Allison Bushell (1997), The Charter Dialogue between Courts and Legislatures
- Paul Wells (2011), Insite – The Harper Government’s Sweeping, Narrow Defeat
- Donald Macpherson and Nicholas Klassen (2015), Vancouver Buyer’s Club
- Cash for Access Political Fundraising Story
- Jordan Peterson Against Political Correctness Story
Page created by: Ian Clark, last modified 8 November 2016.