PPG1000-2 Week 6
… agenda for PPG1000, section 2, 19 October 2016.
1 – Introductory comments
- Ali Nasser Virji, PPGR, Constructing Trudeau – A Picture Perfect Honeymoon, at https://ppgreview.ca/2016/10/19/constructing-trudeau-a-picture-perfect-honeymoon/
- Globe and Mail, Front Section, 19 October 2016
2 – Reflections on recent sessions
- PPG1000 on Institutional Dynamics within Government (12 October) – Sean Speer’s recommendation to reflect on Public Choice Theory and read “the classics,” particularly Friedrich Hayek (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Hayek)
- Ali Ghiassi and Getting a Deal – An Insider’s Account of the Historic Interprovincial Agreement (17 October) – note Atlas topic, Negotiating
- Leslie Pal lectures from PADM5120, Modern Challenges to Governance:
3 – Presentation on the 19 core concepts in Federalism
- CBC (2016), Amid funding debate, a tweet causes trouble among health ministers, at http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/wherry-health-ministers-meeting-1.3810999, and http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/788579907859/
4 – Seminar discussion – Applying insights from the readings (Simeon-Robinson-Wallner (2014); Brown (2012); Lecours and Béland (2010)) to the five Institutional Analysis topics:
- Fulfillment of the Paris Agreement on Climate Change (including Minimum Carbon Tax Story)
- Establishment of a national pharmacare program
- Credential recognition for foreign trained professionals
- Modernization of Ontario’s universities
- The municipal infrastructure deficit
5 – Overview on Atlas topic, Persuading
6 – Other matters
- Sign up for Library Workshop at PPG1000H Jurisdictional Scan Research Workshop
- Recommended viewing Leslie Pal lectures (106 minutes): Diversity, Identity, and Rights
7 – Next week: PPG1000 Week 7 – Federal-Provincial Dynamics
- Bakvis, Herman, and Grace Skogstad. 2012. “Taking Stock of Canadian Federalism,” in Canadian Federalism: Performance, Effectiveness and Legitimacy, 3rd ed., eds. Herman Bakvis and Grace Skogstad, pp. 340-357. Toronto: Oxford University Press.
- Atkinson, Michael M., Daniel Béland, Gregory P. Marchildon, Kathleen McNutt, Peter W.B. Phillips, and Ken Rasmussen. 2013. “Intergovernmentalism and Provincial Policy Setting,” in Governance and Public Policy in Canada: A View from the Provinces, pp. 1-22. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- Schertzer, Robert, Andrew McDougall, and Grace Skogstad. 2016. “Collaboration and Unilateralism: Explaining Recent Dynamics of Intergovernmental Relations in Canada.” Working paper presented at the annual conference of the Canadian Political Science Association.
Page created by: Ian Clark, last modified 19 October 2016.