How Practitioners Can Help
Using and improving the Atlas core curriculum
As noted in About:
We hope the Atlas can be useful to those who wish to teach, or assess, or learn curricular content in MPP and MPA programs. This includes instructors developing a course, assessors examining curricular content for purposes of quality assurance or accreditation, and current or former students and others who wish to learn more about the core topics and concepts in public management.
The “others who wish to learn more about the core topics and concepts in public management” could include public policy and public administration practitioners in public and non-profit organizations around the world.
Given the professional nature of the MPP and MPA degrees, there should be a high degree of alignment between the topics and concepts in the T&C tables in the Core Curriculum Database and the content of training courses that public and nonprofit organizations utilize in their professional development programs for analysts and policy-oriented managers.
Practitioners could help improve the Atlas content by:
- Reflecting on which of the topics and concepts listed on the eleven T&C Tables in the Core Curriculum Database are most relevant to their work.
- Providing suggestions to the Atlas editors to make the site more useful to practitioners.
- Designating specific topic and concept pages in their organization’s professional development guides.
- Sharing some of their organization’s professional development materials with the Atlas editors to be formatted for the Atlas in a form that is mutually acceptable.
- Designating a contact person for communicating with the Atlas editors.
Input from practitioners would be extremely valuable in refining the descriptions of core topics and core concepts on the Atlas, and thus helping “instructors developing a course [and] assessors examining curricular content for purposes of quality assurance or accreditation.”
Page created by: Ian Clark, last modified 12 March 2016.
Image: Défi métiers, at https://www.defi-metiers.fr/breves/unifaf-ile-de-france-et-defi-metiers-signent-une-convention-de-partenariat, accessed 12 March 2016.