Secretary of the Cabinet, Ontario
The website of Ontario’s Secretary of the Cabinet describes (reference below, website on right) the role of the Secretary as follows:
“The Secretary of the Cabinet is the Premier’s Deputy Minister, the Head of the Ontario Public Service and the Clerk of the Executive Council.
“As the Premier’s Deputy Minister, he:
- Acts as Head of Cabinet Office
- Provides advice and support to the Premier to deliver on the government’s mandate
- Manages the performance of each deputy minister on behalf of the Premier
“As Head of the Ontario Public Service, he:
- Ensures effective and efficient management, operation and organization of the public service
- Oversees the day-to-day operation of Ontario’s public services
- Implements long-term strategies for the future of the public service
“As Clerk of the Executive Council, he:
- Supports the Cabinet decision-making process
- Conveys Cabinet decisions to ministers and deputy ministers
- Ensures Cabinet decisions are implemented
- Ensures Cabinet’s agenda and its committees support the government’s priorities”
Ontario Public Service
The Cabinet Secretary’s website notes that:
“The Government of Ontario includes ministries, agencies and Crown corporations. Its workforce of 60,000+ public servants is called the Ontario Public Service (OPS).”
Atlas topic, subject, and course
Secretary of the Cabinet website at https://www.ontario.ca/page/secretary-cabinet, accessed 25 August 2016.
Page created by: Ian Clark, last modified on 25 August 2016.
Image: Secretary of the Cabinet website at https://www.ontario.ca/page/secretary-cabinet, accessed 25 August 2016.