The Pedagogy of Diversity, 23 May 2017
An Atlas presentation for a seminar with Leslie Pal on how issues of identity can be addressed in the MPP/MPA Core Curriculum
1 – Questions for discussion:
- What identity-related topics and concepts should be taught in the first year of the MPP?
- Which courses should teach which topics and concepts?
- Can comprehension of identity-related concepts be assessed with online quizzes?
2 – Definitions and debates:
- Politics of Difference
- Identity and Identity Politics
- MPP/MPA Core Curriculum
- Diversity and Equality
- Political Correctness, Populism, and Freedom of Speech
- Viewpoint Diversity
- The Need for Intellectual Accountability – A Student Perspective
- Haidt’s Telos Choice – Either Truth or Social Justice
- Jordan Peterson against Political Correctness Story
3 – The most identity-related core subjects (4 of 17) and core topics (9 of 120) in the MPP/MPA Core Curriculum:
- Socioeconomic and Political Context (i.e., PPG1005)
- Governance and Institutions (i.e., PPG1000)
- Leadership Skills
- Human Resource Management
- Promoting Excellence and Diversity
4 – The most identity-related core concepts (~53 of ~1,200) in the MPP/MPA Core Curriculum, arrayed by topic:
Promoting Excellence and Diversity
5 – Relevant courses
- NYU PADM2129 Race, Identity, and Inclusion in Organizations
- NYU PADM2447 Majorities, Minorities, and Group Identities In America – Status, Rights, and Public Policy
7 – Can online quizzes assess concept comprehension?
- See, for example, the questions at the bottom of Diversity, Identity, and Rights
Page created by: Ian Clark, last modified 22 May 2017.
Image: Dan Gluibizzi, in Mark Lilla (2016), The End of Identity Liberalism, New York Times, 18 November, at http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/opinion/sunday/the-end-of-identity-liberalism.html, accessed 20 December 2016.